Scottish Life Sciences
Scotland, Where You Go To Grow.
Tepnel Pharma Services is proud to be a part of the Scottish Life Sciences Community.
The new 2017 Life Sciences Strategy for Scotland – ‘2025 Vision’ aims to grow the industrial turnover of the life sciences sector to £8 billion.
Scotland is a leading global life sciences cluster and in the past few years Scotland has seen many positive developments, with a number of international companies looking to expand their presence here.
The latest sector figures, show that the sector employs over 37,000 people across some 700 organisations. Company turnover is in excess of £4.2 billion and gross value added (GVA) around £2 billion. Between 2010 and 2014 company turnover increased by 29%, gross value added by 24% and total employment in companies by 13%.
Scotland’s Heritage of Scientific Innovation
Scotland is home to a range of multinationals and small and medium enterprises (SMEs) with a strong track record of creating and growing start-ups.
Our thriving entrepreneurial culture in our universities creates more spin-outs than any other region of the UK. Scotland has comprehensive supply chains and world class manufacturing expertise supplying chemical and healthcare equipment, pharmaceutical services, medicines, vaccines and diagnostics to the world.
Scotland as your outsourcing destination
Scotland’s Pharma Services cluster can deliver solutions for drug developers across the full value chain of therapeutic development. Expertise in drug discovery and contract research is complemented by innovative pharmaceutical manufacturing and formulation solutions and a comprehensive range of support services for all phases of drug discovery/development. Therefore, Scotland is well positioned to provide outsourcing solutions to expedite and add value to all international drug discovery and development activities.
SCOTTISH PHARMACEUTICAL SERVICES – KEY FACTS
- World class drug discovery consortia involving the world’s biggest Pharma companies
- Comprehensive and expert preclinical research coverage with global leaders such as Charles River Laboratories, BioReliance and Eurofins
- Scotland is responsible for over 50% of Europe’s biosafety testing
- We are a leader in the use of iPSCs (induced pluripotent stem cells) for preclinical toxicity and drug discovery
- We have has a globally recognised electronic health record system with the unique patient identifier number (CHI) used throughout a patient’s life
- Globally competitive clinical trial recruitment and start up times (median 12 day Scotland wide R&D approval), with managed clinical trial delivery through NHS Research Scotland
- Bio-banking resource unrivalled in Europe (Generation Scotland)
- Industry leaders in pharmaceutical manufacture such as AMRI, BASF, Lonza, GSK and SAFC recognise the advantages of siting global operations in Scotland
- Scotland is a key site for the manufacture of high potency active pharmaceutical ingredients (HPAPIs), with 17% of sites actively producing HPAPIs in Europe based in Scotland
- Scotland produces 70% of media for biomanufacturing in Europe
Scotland has a strong and flourishing Pharma Services community, with a cluster of over 150 expert, innovative and ambitious companies employing over 9,000 skilled professionals, working together and ready to advance your drug development.
Life science companies operating in Scotland benefit from a wealth of support for business growth. Scotland’s two enterprise agencies, Scottish Enterprise and Highlands and Islands Enterprise, provide dedicated strategic and financial support and facilitate introduction to other specialist teams, including the Scottish Manufacturing Advisory Service.
- Vibrant, Diverse and Growing Company Base
- Access To World Leading Research
- Proven Track Record Of Invention and Medical Advances
- Strong Evolving Investment Environment
- Innovation Ready Unified Health Service
- Skilled and Dynamic Workforce
- Networks, Connections and Business Environment
- Premier Manufacturing Location
Subscribe to the newsletter at http://www.lifesciencesscotland.com/ to stay abreast of what Life Sciences Scotland is doing.